WELCOME TO ALL OUR FRIENDS

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Post your book previews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Wed 28 May 2014 - 17:18

i'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings, and i'm on Book 2 (The Two Towers) nearly finished so soon i'll reach the "3rd" book.
Back to top Go down
Imbrutus ~ Co-Owner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Wed 28 May 2014 - 23:21

The English Minister for Education has decided that secondary school students should study only literature written in the British Isles (unless pre 20th century): see http://www.theguardian.com/education/.... As a result, they will no longer study 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'Of Mice and Men', 'The Crucible' and other American classics. It also rules out the 'Diary of Anne Frank' and anything else not written in English originally. What's lost and gained by this? What would be on your list for schools to teach to teenagers - and why?

Back to top Go down
Dao-Ming

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Thu 29 May 2014 - 1:52

hard to choose from top of my head

Wizard of Oz
Little Women
Whutering heights
The book thief
Fahrenheit 451
The Help (i'm reading it now)
Pride and prejudice
Les Miserables
Frankenstein
Uncle Tom's Cabin

Why? because they have a message a lesson moral values even the Wizard of Oz if you look deeper than the surface there is a lesson to learn... oops it's time gotta go!
Back to top Go down
http://friends.forum-nation.com/
Imbrutus ~ Co-Owner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Fri 30 May 2014 - 0:11

Good choices there Dao, even a few American authors, glad to see you don't have prejudices like our dear government minister.
James Fennimore Cooper and last of the Mohequins which I read as a teenager should be on every boy's wish list. Liked Fahrenheit 451 even though the written word had to be burned.
The three muskateers by Dumas was a fun read too, but loved the Science Fiction genre, extensively read long before real space travel

Back to top Go down
Dao-Ming

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Tue 3 Jun 2014 - 14:35

yep! i agree it is silly to have prejudice what counts is the quality of the novel ;)
yep i loved the 3 Muskateers too!! i also loved the novels from Emile Zola and Jules Vernes! there is a lot of depth in that kind of literature! I have read and enjoyed also the work of Molieres in there also you have bunch of under meaning...

The Help that i'm reading now is really a great book! you can see the world of white people and the one of colored people in the 6o's. Incredible to see how they could still be so ridiculously racist 100 years after the Civil War!! you see also the vain mentally of many white people trying to "be" what they were not... sacrificing to look like the rich owner of a plantation, kind of recapturing an era past and gone... so much prejudice....
Back to top Go down
Imbrutus ~ Co-Owner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 0:53

"The Help that i'm reading now is really a great book! you can see the world of white people and the one of colored people in the 6o's. Incredible to see how they could still be so ridiculously racist 100 years after the Civil War!! you see also the vain mentally of many white people trying to "be" what they were not... sacrificing to look like the rich owner of a plantation, kind of recapturing an era past and gone... so much prejudice...."

So true Dao, but I reckon you could write the same book now and it would still ring true of quite a big portion of society

Back to top Go down
Dao-Ming

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Sat 14 Jun 2014 - 2:05

yep unfortunately i don't know why some people can't just forget about skin color, accents, etc... i wish they would understand that what counts is a person's heart!
Like you said i see it all the time with something as ridiculous as an accent! people have different accents depending on the state they are coming from and some people just can't help but give give them the cold shoulder, rejecting them as being the "stranger" though they are from the same country... so just think what goes on when someone happens to be from another country! It is a really sorry mentality!
Back to top Go down
Dao-Ming

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 16:13

The Help was really awesome from cover to cover!!

Now i'm reading another book about African American that my librarian told me about "12 years a slave" by Solomon Northup it is his biography and it is said to be true to the details as what he relates have been proven to be just that... gives you a pick into what it was like to be a slave before the Civil War and also that Free African American were kidnapped in the North and sold as slaves in the South! Very touching bio!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 2:23

I'm reading this cat series, it's quite long, but so far it's been enjoyable.

am currently reading "Night Whispers" - Erin Hunter.
Back to top Go down
Imbrutus ~ Co-Owner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Wed 6 Aug 2014 - 23:21

Reading "Post - Human" a sci fi series of 4 books on my kindle. Got the series free via Book Bub which send you a daily list for very cheap e books or, even free

https://www.bookbub.com/

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Wed 15 Oct 2014 - 20:46

reading A Dance of Dragons by George R. R. Martin. last one out as of now. so after that will have to wait like everyone else lol.

i think overall, what captured me really was the second book. the first was good, but the second really clicked it for whatever reason. i've decided to read this series mostly because of the publicity this series has seen. i won't watch the series though.
Back to top Go down
WhoseLineFan

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Sat 1 Aug 2015 - 14:57

Reading the Canterwood Crest series by Jessica Burkhart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Sat 8 Aug 2015 - 23:00

reading the Heroes of Olympus series :gig: but they are just so good!
Back to top Go down
Dao-Ming

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Sun 25 Oct 2015 - 22:06

I'm reading "The man eaters of Tsavo" by Patterson a true story very interesting to read! i loved the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" which is based on that book and i wanted to read the real account!
Back to top Go down
Dao-Ming

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Mon 4 Jan 2016 - 0:38

I had to stop reading that book it was to gruesome! the story of the lions of Tsavo is interesting but really i cannot stand the guy! he was the kind of guy that just loves to kill animals and i could not bear reading the account of his heartless slaughter! So i did what i don't like to do... i stop reading though i was not done with the book, that's as bad as it was.

Since then, i read other books but now i'm reading the "House of night" series. A fantasy novel with vampires, at time it's a bit childish as it's supposed to be for teens but Fyrefly convinced me to try it and it's true that passing over that point, there's a good twist in the story and lots of things are happening. I just get bored with the "teen romance" parts but thank goodness they're not too long! :pillow:
Back to top Go down
Cee~Bookworm

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Sun 28 May 2017 - 18:10

Peggy L Henderson's Yellowstone time travel books..Book one..Nurse who likes to trek through Yellowstone with the walkways that are there and telling a patient about it and he asks if she would have liked to have seen it before all that. He tells her he can send her back 200 years and he'll come and get her in 3 months, so she packs a rucksack for fun but finds herself in the middle of nowhere all of a sudden. the first book I can read over and over again
C.J Duggan..(summer) books and all sunshine and falling in love.I like the 3rd one ..that one summer..there's just something about moody men I like lol
Back to top Go down
Sheka ~ Owner
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post your book previews   Tue 6 Jun 2017 - 12:04

Sounds good Tracy will look on my kindle to see if I have them................thax for that info.

"Don't criticize what you don't understand, son. You never walked in that mans'  shoes *Elvis*
Back to top Go down
http://shekasshack.forumotion.co.uk

Post your book previews
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5